Sunday, December 30, 2007

Songwriter Confessions #3

How do you fit a $500,000 recording studio into a small box? Easy. You buy a decent PC and $1000 worth of software. You can blame this as the start of the Golden Age of the songwriter, because before this evolutionary step-up, people like me used to write maybe four songs a year, badly recorded on the first Sony cassette recorders. I’d save my pennies, and once a year, I’d negotiate a deal with a local studio for a special Saturday morning demo rate. I’d pay four reasonable musicians a straight cash fee and try to get three songs done in a three hour session. It didn’t help that I wrote the skankiest chord charts in the world. So I had to get across to the musos how the songs went, while the clock ticked away, and like the man said, it was like dancing about architec View the rest of this article


No comments: